Home >> Social Studies >> Panchayati Raj
The Gram Sabha is a meeting of all adults who live in the area covered by a Panchayat.Anyone who is 18 years old or more and who has the right to vote is a member of the Gram Sabha.Every village Panchayat is divided into wards ,smaller areas.Each ward elects a representative who is known as the ward member.All the members of the Gram Sabha also elect a sarpanch who is the Panchayat president.The Ward Panchs and the Sarpanch form the Gram Panchayat.The Gram Panchayat is elected for five years.
The Gram Panchayat has a secretary who is the secretary of the Gram Sabha.This person is not an elected person but is appointed by the government.The Secretary is responsible for calling the meeting of the Gram Sabha and Gram Panchayat and keeping a record of the proceedings.
The Gram Sabha is the key factor in making the Gram Panchayat play its role and be responsible .It is the place where all plans for the work of the Gram Panchayat are placed before the people.The Gram Sabha prevents the Panchayat from doing wrong things like misusing money or favouring certain people.It plays an important role in keeping an eye on the elected representatives and in making them responsible to the persons who elected them.
The works of Gram Panchayat includes
- The construction and maintenance of water resources,roads,drainage,school buildigns and other common property resources.
- Levying and collecting local taxes.
- Executing government schemes related to generating employment in the village.
Sources of funds
- Collection of taxes on houses,market places etc.
- Government schemes funds received through various departments
- Donations for community works.